The Appling County Detention Center, situated in Baxley, Appling County, Georgia, maintains a medium level of security. On a monthly basis, the facility sees an average of 226 bookings. A dedicated team of 127 staff members is responsible for overseeing the operations of the center. Throughout a typical year, more than 42 inmates are employed within the facility’s in-office work lines, where they provide assistance in areas such as the kitchen, laundry, and other designated tasks. Additionally, the staff of the Appling County Detention Center manages and operates the Appling County Work Leave Center (WFC), which is conveniently located near the prison, just a traffic light away.
To visit an inmate at the Appling County Detention Center, it is necessary to coordinate with the facility’s authorities prior to the intended visit. The visiting schedule for the facility is as follows:
· Weekdays: Visiting hours are from 7:30 am to 9:00 pm.
· Weekends: Visiting hours are from 7:30 am to 2:30 pm.
In order to establish communication with an inmate, one can utilize the mail or letter service. To send mail to an inmate at the Appling County Detention Center, the following address format should be followed:
Appling County Detention Center
Full Reserving Name of the Prisoner (Including IDN)
560 Barnes Street, Baxley, GA, 31513
It is important to note that all personal mail, both incoming and outgoing, will be thoroughly inspected for any prohibited items or materials.
To deposit funds into an inmate’s commissary account at the Appling County Detention Center in Georgia, there are several approved methods available:
· Onsite deposits can be made at the kiosk located in the lobby of the Appling County Detention Center. Cash, debit cards, and credit cards are accepted for these deposits.
· Online deposits can be made using the JPay online payment service, which is utilized by the facility to receive funds.
· Money orders can be sent through the US post office, Western Union, or a reputable bank as a means of deposit.
· Phone deposits are also accepted, and inmates’ commissary accounts can be funded using debit cards and credit cards.
Incarcerated individuals have the privilege to make phone calls to a pre-approved list of contacts, primarily consisting of their friends and family members. These calls can be made either through a third-party call services provider, where the inmate must set up an account and add funds to it in order to make calls, or through a collect call arrangement. In the case of collect calls, the person receiving the call is responsible for covering the costs associated with the call.
The Appling County Detention Center, Sheriffs Office, Baxley Police Department, and the 911 Dispatch Center were initially occupied on December 6, 2000. Sheriff Mark Melton assumed office on January 1, 2017. The combined facility occupies a total area of 24,000 square feet.
The construction project for this complex had a total cost of 3.6 million dollars, and the entire amount was funded through SPLOST (Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax) funds.
The Detention Center is comprised of an 84-bed jail, and its operations are overseen by a staff consisting of 19 jailers, 1 Administrator, and 1 Secretary. Within the facility, there are additional specialized areas such as a Fireproof Evidence Room, Fireproof Records Room, Judges and Solicitors Office, First Appearance Room, and a Secure Exercise Yard for the detainees.
Appling County in Georgia derives its name from Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Appling, a notable soldier who served during the War of 1812. The county was established as the 42nd county in Georgia through legislation passed by the Georgia General Assembly on December 15, 1818. It was initially formed by incorporating Creek lands that were acquired through the 1814 Treaty of Fort Jackson and the 1818 Treaty of the Creek Agency.
However, the county underwent changes in its boundaries over time. On December 15, 1824, the Georgia General Assembly created Ware County by taking roughly the southern half of Appling’s land districts 4, 5, and 6, as well as all of land districts 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13. Subsequently, on December 24, 1825, Appling County’s land district 6 was transferred to Telfair County, leading to a border dispute between Telfair and Ware Counties. This issue was resolved through additional legislation. Another alteration occurred on December 18, 1857 when a section of Appling County located south of Lightsey’s Ford on Big Creek, extending downstream to the Little Satilla River, was separated from Appling County to establish Pierce County.
During the 1850 United States Census, Appling County recorded a population of 2,520 white residents, 404 enslaved individuals, and 25 free people of color. By the time of the 1860 United States Census, the county’s population had increased to 3,442 white residents, 740 enslaved individuals, and 3 free people of color.